In 1997, the Brennans purchased the historic McCrary House in Comanche, Texas. This beautiful rock house was built in 1879 and is one of the oldest homes in west central Texas. This purchase was followed by the acquisition of 33 acres adjacent to the McCrary property and in 2002 a vineyard was established. The winery was completed in 2005. Today Brennan Vineyards has three buildings on its campus: The McCrary House Tasting Room and Gift Shop, the winery and The Austin House Events Center. Comanche is less than two hours southwest of Fort Worth.
When Brennan Vineyards was formed in 2001, the commitment was to make world-class wine from Texas grapes or, as our motto says, “Sophisticated wine with Texas Roots.” In order to accomplish that goal, Brennan Vineyards’ winemaker, Todd Webster, works with noted Texas winemaker, Kim McPherson as a consultant.
Brennan Vineyards has 30 acres of grapes and grows 10 varieties of vinifera or “old world” grapes. The varieties were chosen because of the Texas climate and its challenges. Brennan also purchases grapes from some of the top growers in west central Texas and the Texas High Plains. While early efforts have been quite good, the best is yet to come.
Brennan Vineyards wines are marketed under that name and also the “Austin Street” label. The two labels represent different wine styles, grape origins and price points. Currently Brennan Vineyards has 10 different wines in the market.
In 2012, Brennan Vineyards, along with McPherson Cellars and Lost Oak Winery, opened 4.0 Cellars in Fredericksburg, Texas, allowing visitors to the Texas Hill Country the opportunity to taste wines from three different areas of The Lone Star State.
The winemaker since 2010, Todd Webster learned his craft on the job as well as through the Texas Tech Viticulture and Washington State Viticulture programs.
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Brennan Vineyards
The second Tempranillo release is a dry, full-bodied red wine with fruit flavors of prunes, tart blackberries and black currants, along with hints of pepper, cloves and pipe tobacco. The 2011 won Gold at 2013 Pacific Rim Wine Competition, 2014 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition and 2014 Dallas Morning News/TEXSOM Wine Competition.
Recent Awards and Accolades
• Gold– 2014 Lily at the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Double Gold, Reserve Class Champion and Texas Class Champion – 2012 Super Nero, Comanche County at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Double Gold, Reserve Class Champion and Texas Reserve Class Champion – 2013 Tempranillo Reserve at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Double Gold, Class Champion and Texas Class Champion – 2013 Tempranillo at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Texas Monthly Top 10 Red Wines of 2015 – Brennan Vineyards 2013 Tempranillo Reserve
• Texas Monthly Top 10 Red Wines of 2015 – 4.0 Cellars by Brennan Vineyards 2013 Mourvedre
• Gold – 2012 Super Nero, Nero D’Avola at the 2015 TEXSOM International Wine Competition
• Double Gold, Class Champion, Texas Class Champion – 2012 Tempranillo at 2015 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold and Reserve Class Champion – 2012 Lily at 2015 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold and Class Champion – 2013 Lily at 2015 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Texas Monthly Top 10 Red Wines of 2014 – W-Winemakers Choice (NV)
• Gold, International Wine TV Awards – W-Winemakers Choice (NV)
• Gold – 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve and 2011 Tempranillo at 2014 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Gold – 2011 Lily at the 2013 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Double Gold, Class Champion and Texas Class Champion – 2012 Viognier at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2011 Tempranillo at the 2013 Pacific Rim Wine Competition
• Chairman’s award (unanimous Gold) – 2011 Dark Horse at the 2013 Riverside International Wine Competition.
• Gold – 2011 Lily at the 2013 Dallas Morning News and TEXSOM Wine Competition
• Gold and Grand Star – 2012 Lily at the 2013 Lone Start International Wine Competition
802 S. Austin St.
Comanche, Texas 76442
Pat Brennan, Owner