Pedernales Cellars is Texas’ premier boutique winery, specializing in Spanish and Rhone style wines. Its award-winning Texas Tempranillo and Viognier are benchmarks for these varieties in the state. The estate vineyard, Kuhlken Vineyards, was planted in 1995 in Texas’ oldest AVA, Bell Mountain, located within the Texas Hill Country. The winery is devoted to sustainable practices and features the largest underground barrel cellar in Texas, kept at a steady 55-60 degrees by an environmentally friendly geothermal cooling system. Guests can tour the facility and then relax with a glass of wine on the tree-covered deck with breathtaking views of the Pedernales River valley.
Pedernales Cellars also has a tasting room on Main Street in Fredericksburg, so guests can enjoy its wine in the charming shopping district of this historic German town.
Siblings David and Julie Kuhlken own and operate Pedernales Cellars. Their first experience with the Texas wine industry came when their parents, Larry and Jeanine, planted Kuhlken Vineyards north of Fredericksburg. David has been the winemaker at Pedernales Cellars since its founding in 2006. He developed his winemaking style through collaboration with a number of local winemakers as well as training through the UC Davis Viticulture and Enology certification program. Julie Kuhlken, PhD is a former philosophy professor and published author, who left academia to develop the Pedernales brand and runs the marketing and hospitality operations of the winery.
- 2016 Texas Viognier Reserve – Double Gold, 2018 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition; Silver, 2018 Houston Rodeo Uncorked!; and Bronze, 2018 TEXSOM International Wine Awards
- 2016 Texas Viognier – Gold, 2018 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition and Silver and Reserve Class Champion, 2018 Houston Rodeo Uncorked!
- 2015 Texas Tempranillo Reserve – Gold, 2018 San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo and Silver, 2018 Houston Rodeo Uncorked!
- 2016 Valhalla – Silver, 2018 TEXSOM International Wine Awards and Silver, 2018 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2016 Texas Tempranillo – Silver, 2018 TEXSOM International Wine Awards; Silver, 2018 San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo; and Silver, 2018 Houston Rodeo Uncorked!
- 2015 Texas Mélange GSM – Silver, 2018 TEXSOM International Wine Awards and Silver and Texas Class Champion, 2018 Houston Rodeo Uncorked
VISIT PEDERNALES CELLARS
2916 Upper Albert Rd.
Stonewall, TX 78671
134 E. Main Street
Fredericksburg, Texas 78624
Friday and Saturday: 11-7