Pedernales Cellars is Texas’ leading producer of authentic, handcrafted wines,
specializing in Spanish and Rhone style wines, including benchmark Tempranillos and Viogniers.
Family-owned and operated, Pedernales Cellars is dedicated to world-class wines, sustainable practices and Texas Hill Country hospitality.
The estate vineyard of Pedernales Cellars was planted in 1995 by Larry and Jeanine Kuhlken, and their children David and Julie, and son-in-law, Fredrik Osterberg, produced the winery’s first vintage in 2006.
Pedernales’ winemaker is David Kuhlken, a Rice University and UT McCombs School of Business graduate. Kuhlken got into wine when his parents started growing grapes and learning from some of Texas’ pioneers, Kuhlken has mentored several of the state’s up-and-coming winemakers.
2014 Texas High Plains Tempranillo
For an unprecedented third time in five years, Pedernales Cellars has been awarded Top Texas Wine at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition, with the 2014 Texas High Plains Tempranillo taking home the coveted winning saddle. Previous wins of Top Texas Wines were in 2013 for the 2012 Texas Viognier and in 2016 for the 2014 Texas Viognier. The nose includes notes of boysenberry, raspberry and black olive, as well as hints of dusty oak and graphite.
Recent Awards and Accolades
• Top Texas Wine – 2014 Texas Viognier at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Texas Reserve Class Champion – 2015 Viognier Reserve at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2014 Texas Viognier Reserve at the Long Beach Grand Cru Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Tempranillo Reserve, 2012 Texas Tempranillo, 2014 Texas Viognier, and 2014 Texas Vermentino at the 2015 TEXSOM International Wine Competition
• Red Vinifera Wine Winner – 2012 Texas Tempranillo Reserve at the 2014 Jefferson Cup Invitational Wine Competition
• Texas Monthly Top 10 Red Wines of 2014 – 2012 Texas Tempranillo
• Food & Wine Magazine (November 2014) – 2012 Texas Tempranillo
• Gold – 2011 Texas Tempranillo at the 2014 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition
• Grand Gold – 2012 Viognier Reserve at the 2013 Lyon France International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Viognier and 2010 High Plains Tempranillo at the 2013 Dallas Morning News and TEXSOM Wine Competition
• Gold – 2011 Tempranillo Reserve at the 2013 San Francisco International Wine Competition
• Double Gold – 2010 High Plains Tempranillo and 2010 Tempranillo Reserve and Gold – 2011 GSM at the 2013 Lone Star International Competition
• Double Gold, Top Texas Wine, Class Champion and Texas Class Champion – 2012 Texas Viognier at the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Texas Tempranillo at the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
2916 Upper Albert Road
Stonewall, Texas 78671
Fredrik Osterberg, Co-Owner & President
Dr. Julie Kuhlken, Co-Owner & Design and Communications Director