Founded in 1992, Spicewood Vineyards produces the finest award-winning wines from the Texas Hill Country and beyond.
The winery is nestled among 32 acres of vines for a one-of-a-kind breathtaking setting. The Yates family purchased the winery and vineyards in 2007, dedicated to the philosophy that great wine is truly made in the vineyard. That belief has led to extensive planting and experimentation with multiple grape varieties here in the Hill Country and in other parts of the state.
Tempranillo, the noble grape of Spain, has become a star for the winery garnering many awards and accolades each year. Spicewood Vineyards also produces award-winning Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Touriga Nacional, Syrah and many others.
A native Texan and Texas A&M grad, winemaker Todd Crowell has been making wines for Spicewood Vineyards since 2012, after spending 12 years at White Oak Vineyards & Winery, Stonestreet Winery, and Christopher Creek Winery in Sonoma County. While he brings a scientific approach to winemaking, Crowell’s philosophy is that making great wine starts in the vineyard. (L-R in photo, Todd Crowell and Ron Yates)
The 2012 Spicewood Vineyards Estate Tempranillo is made exclusively from Hill Country grapes grown on the estate vineyard in Spicewood. This wine offers broader complexity and structure than most other Texas Tempranillos. A nod to the great Spanish Rioja wines, there are notes of tart, sour cherry, tobacco, cocoa and broken leather. The 2012 won Gold at the 2015 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo international Wine Competition, Gold at the 2014 TEXSOM International Wine Competition and Gold at the prestigious 2015 Concours de Lyon International Wine Competition in Lyon, France. It was also named a 2014 Top Texas Wine by Texas Monthly.
Recent Awards and Accolades
• Gold – 2014 Estate Chardonnay at the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Gold – 2014 Tempranillo Rosé at the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Gold – 2014 Viognier at the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Estate Tempranillo at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Estate Tempranillo at the 2015 Concours De Lyon International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Estate Tempranillo at the 2014 Dallas Morning News & TEXSOM International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2014 Estate Sauvignon Blanc at the 2015 San Francisco International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Tenny Wren (Tempranillo Blend) at the 2015 San Diego International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2013 Roussanne at the 2015 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition
• Gold – 2012 Tempranillo Rosé at 2014 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Tempranillo Rosé at the 2013 San Francisco International Wine Competition
1419 Burnet County Road 409
Spicewood, TX 78669