Bending Branch Winery
Bending Branch Winery, a boutique winery near Comfort, Texas, is a sustainable practices and organically focused operation with 20 acres of 16 varieties planted on the 56-acre estate. Our wines include award-winning Petite Sirah, Picpoul Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Souzão, Vermentino and Tannat. Our signature white and red grapes have been recognized for their intensity that stems from the high acidity in Picpoul Blanc and bold tannins in Tannat, respectively.
Often referred to as the Noble grape of Spain, Tempranillo has earned its accolades as one of the preeminent, thriving red varietals of Texas. Translating to ‘little early one,’ Tempranillo flourishes in even short growing seasons. It has a tendency toward early ripening, producing wines with vibrant fruit and spicy complexity. These vivacious Mediterranean gems truly shine in the Texas Terroir, making a wine that rivals its Old World counterparts.
The Tempranillo offers classic notes of espresso grounds, sweet pipe tobacco, anisette and cardamom with a rich bing cherry and raspberry finish that balances with a bright acidic backbone and soft tannic structure. The 2011 Tempranillo is available for purchase at select HEB stores and the Bending Branch Tasting Room or webstore for $26 bottle.
Recent Awards and Accolades
• Gold – 2014 Comfortage at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2011 Bending Branch Tannat at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Bending Branch Tempranillo at the 2016 Uncorked! International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2012 Bending Branch Estate Tannat at the 2015 TEXSOM International Wine Competition
• Food & Wine Magazine (November 2014) – 2010 Texas Tannat
• The Week’s “10 under the radar wine regions” – 2010 Texas Tannat
• 2014 Readers Choice Best Texas Winery Award – San Antonio Express News
• Double Gold – 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Newsom Vineyards at the 2013 San Francisco International Wine Competition
• Top Texas Wine – 2011 Tannat CM, Estate Grown, Bending Branch Horseshoe Block at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Class Champion and Double Gold – 2011 Tannat, Estate Grown at the 2014 Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Reserve Class Champion and Double Gold – 2011 Texas Tannat, Reddy Vineyards at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Tempranillo, Newsom Vineyards at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Texas Tannat, Texas High Plains at the 2013 Dallas Morning News & Tex Som International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Texas Tannat, Texas High Plains at the 2013 Lone Star International Wine Competition
Bending Branch Winery
142 Lindner Branch Trail, Comfort, TX 78013
Bob Young, Owner