Bending Branch Winery
Bending Branch Winery, a boutique winery near Comfort, Texas, is a sustainable practices and organically focused operation with 16 acres of vines, comprising 16 varieties. Our wines include award-winning Petite Sirah, Picpoul Blanc, Cabernet, Souzao, Vermentino and Tannat. While Tannat, our signature grape, has quickly emerged as a true champion of the terroir unique to Texas, we have found great success with many more.
Often referred to as the Noble grape of Spain, Tempranillo has earned its accolades as one of the preeminent, thriving red varietals of Texas. Translating to ‘little early one,’ Tempranillo flourishes in even short growing seasons. It has a tendency toward early ripening, producing wines with vibrant fruit and spicy complexity. These vivacious Mediterranean gems truly shine in the Texas Terroir, making a wine that rivals its Old World counterparts.
The Tempranillo offers classic notes of espresso grounds, sweet pipe tobacco, anisette and cardamom with a rich bing cherry and raspberry finish that balances with a bright acidic backbone and soft tannic structure. The 2011 Tempranillo is available for purchase at select HEB stores and the Bending Branch Tasting Room or webstore for $26 bottle.
Recent Awards and Accolades
• 2014 Readers Choice Best Texas Winery Award — San Antonio Express News
• Double Gold – 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Newsom Vineyards at the 2013 San Francisco International Wine Competition
• Top Texas Wine – 2011 Tannat CM, Estate Grown, Bending Branch Horseshoe Block at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Class Champion and Double Gold – 2011 Tannat, Estate Grown at the 2014 Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Reserve Class Champion and Double Gold – 2011 Texas Tannat, Reddy Vineyards at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Tempranillo, Newsom Vineyards at the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Texas Tannat, Texas High Plains at the 2013 Dallas Morning News & Tex Som International Wine Competition
• Gold – 2010 Texas Tannat, Texas High Plains at the 2013 Lone Star International Wine Competition
Bending Branch Winery
142 Lindner Branch Trail, Comfort, TX 78013
Bob Young, Owner